Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Day at the Ranch

These past 6 weeks I have had the pleasure of learning Greek from Dr. John Alsup. Somewhere around 9 am each morning, myself and my fellow classmates drug our feet into class, found our chairs, and began wondering just what type of curve the Greek language would throw at us this time. Now, six weeks later, here we stand, sufficiently underlining verbs, bracketing nouns, circling definite articles, parsing particles, and attempting rough translations. This semester Dr. Alsup taught us that Greek is a little like tending to an animal. As you care, love, and nourish an animal, you find that it often has much to offer you in return. Similarly, as I have spent time this last year learning Hebrew and Greek, I have found that there is much these two languages have to offer me. I just have to take the time and be willing to provide a little TLC.

In the middle of the semester, Dr. Alsup invited our class out to his ranch to meet his horses. Here are some pictures of our wonderful day at the ranch! He is surely one of the most caring professors I have ever had. I do not think I've ever met a person who has the teacher's heart as much as he.
Dr. Alsup pulling all of us on his tractor. It isn't a trip to the ranch without a hay ride.

Dr. Alsup and Amber on Platero, the donkey. He had a beautiful black marking the shape of a cross on his back. I've never seen a donkey more beautiful! Dr. Alsup was so sweet to take Amber for a ride on Platero.
Amber riding "Spittin' Image."
Amber timidly petting Commander. I couldn't convince her to get any closer.



No comments:

Post a Comment